Monday, August 15, 2011

A Story About A Dog Named Floyd

A few weeks ago my husband told me that we needed to think about our Yellow Labs future. Floyd P. Dog was pushing fourteen years old and in declining health. It was becoming more and more of a struggle for him to make it up the three steps at the back door. I told my husband that I felt Floyd had a while yet and felt he may even make it through another winter. Floyd’s favorite season. On Thursday I went to the fair with my sister. They also have a Lab in failing health. She was gently trying to convince me that we should go together and let them both go at the same time. I told her the same thing I told my husband. I felt he had a while. ( I think hubby and sis had a conspiracy going on ).

I woke up Friday morning to the sound of Floyd P. Dog whimpering next to the bed. I reached my hand over the edge of the bed and pet him. He was shaking. I thought he was cold because he was laying in front of the fan. I got up, turned off the fan and covered him with a blanket that we keep next to the bed. I rubbed him to help the warming and told him he was OK and would be warm soon. After a few minutes I realized he was not cold. He was having seizures. He was unable to move. He could not even lift his head. It was then that I realized this was Floyd’s last day here on Earth. And I was/am devastated. I called my sister and our best friend. Both were here in minutes. I talked to Floyd and told him “I guess you are going to make this decision for me” and thanked him. I told him he was going to be reunited with his Bonnie Girl. Our cat who passed away totally unexpected in May. She and Floyd were best friends. (She went first because she wanted to welcome him at the Rainbow Bridge). I continued to talk to Floyd through tears like you would not believe. We brought Floyd out to the living room on the blanket. He, for the first time in probably years, was in no pain. He did not yelp or complain at all through us moving him. For this I am so grateful. It is the only thing that makes this somewhat easier to take. After talking to Floyd for a while longer, it was time to go. We loaded him in the car and off he went to his last Veterinary appointment. I kind of thought I wanted to go but was not sure I could. My sister felt because I knew he was in no pain it was probably best to let her and our best friend go alone. And I will always have his last pain free moments to remember Floyd by. I stayed home. I am glad I did. I talked to my husband, who was at work, and told him what had happened. Then I came in the sun room and sat next to Fredrick, our Shar Pei. I explained to him that his Uncle Floyd was not coming back to the house. Fredrick knew something was wrong. He walks out the back driveway looking for Floyd. Wondering, “when he is coming home“. When my sister and friend returned home we all cried as my sister let me know how peaceful his transition was. By this time my husband was home and the tears continued. We drank coffee, cried, laughed, and reminisced for hours.

It is day three after our loss of Floyd and I am still devastated. I no longer have my shadow…8/14/11

1 comment:

  1. Floyd had such a great life with you and Paul, please take comfort in knowing that. I know how the loss of a beloved pet leaves a hole in your heart. Feel better my friend.

    ReplyDelete